Monday, June 27, 2011

Tales of the Strange and Unusual

This is a bit of an off topic.  It's not travel related, but I just received word (via a Facebook chat with Dave Patrone, oddly enough) that the trio I play in called 'Purity of Essence' somehow or other got nominated at the SDMAs this year.  Go figure on that.  We're a bit spread out at the moment.  Isaac Crow (the drummer) is still in San Diego, Mack Leighton (the bassist) is on a cruise ship somewhere around Alaska, and I'm in Japan, more specifically Okinawa.  I have no idea how this happened, and I know we're not going to win, but still, it's nice.  I am confused, but happy.

The only recordings I have are the ones on this crummy old Myspace.  There are some originals up there, plus one standard and a cover by 'The Flaming Lips.'  Sorry for the recording quality...
http://www.myspace.com/purityofessencepoe

Here's a link to the nominees:
http://www.sandiegomusicawards.com/#voting

... and another to the voting page, should the mood strike you:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/sdma2011

My rock band, 'Jesse LaMonaca and the Dime Novels,' also got nominated for 'Best Americana.'  It's the second year in a row we've been nominated.  Also, Chase Morrin (a REALLY good, young pianist whose trio also features the outstanding playing of two of my friends, Tyler Eaton and Fernando Gomez) got nominated for best jazz.  'In Motion Trio,' which my friend Dylan Casey plays guitar for, got nominated, too.

Anyhow, this kind of cool, right?

Soupy twist,
Edward

No comments:

Post a Comment